||Different materials can be used, choose the material according to mechanical constraints, and aesthetic reason.
- Plasterboard: pros: easy to cut, inexpensive, easy to fix with auto-perforating screws. Cons: fragile and not very strong. Exists in different thicknesses.
- MDF (medium density fiberboard): easier to cut than wood, it also provides a nice finish.
- Fermacell: More resistant than plasterboard.
- Wood: pros: strong. Cons: more complex to cut and fix.
- Melamine: same as wood and provides a smoother finish.
Different materials can be used simultaneously in the same construction. For instance: use wood for the horizontal shelves to support books' heavy weight, and plasterboard for the vertical panels.